What documents are needed to sell in Andalusia?

  • Share on

Selling your country house in Andalusia is, of course, our job. We manage the process from start to finish. Nevertheless, there are things you can do yourself to smoothen the selling process. When the legal documentation of your country property in Andalusia, Southern Spain, is taken care of, it will be much easier to exchange contracts between parties. In this guide you will find everything you need to know when it comes to preparing yourself for a sale. 

What documents are most important?

Is the legal documentation of your Andalusian country property in place? It is of extreme importance to check this. Since the majority of the purchasers come from abroad they are not familiar with the laws and customs in Spain.

Missing documents can hinder the sale. If you have come to a price agreement with a prospective client you do not want to be confronted with legal issues coming up in the due diligence that you were unaware of. For this reason Villas & Fincas performs a detailed check up front. We will indicate what aspects need attention. 

Specific for country properties we advise to have the following documentation ready:

  1. Title Deed and Registry. Does the registration of m2 build size and m2 of land reflect reality?
  2. Cadastre. Are the land boundaries correctly reflected in the cadastre? Are all buildings declared in the cadastre?
  3. Building license. Does your property have a building license?
  4. Occupation license. Not many properties on the countryside have an occupation license. A DAFO or a ‘prescripción de acciones’ is more common.
  5. Authorisation of water use. If you have water from a well or a bore hole, is the use of the water registered?

If you do not possess some of these documents, we can guide you in the process of applying for them. It is best to involve a lawyer specialised in country property law to assist you in this process. 

What additional documents can help in the sales process?

At Villas & Fincas we like to be fully informed. As before mentioned, many of our customers come from abroad. The more information we can provide upfront, the more likely our clients are to travel to Spain to view your property. This is a list of the possible documentation we could request:

  • Passport, ID card and NIE of the owner
  • Recent and updated Nota Simple
  • Cadastre numbers of your property
  • Licencia de Primera Ocupación (Occupation License)
  • DAFO
  • Building License
  • Energy Certificate
  • Updated floor plans
  • Copy of recent IBI receipt
  • Estimate of yearly running costs and income
  • Recent invoices of supplies (water/electricity/gas/diesel/internet)
  • License of existing wells
  • OCA License/registration of horses
  • License or permits related to agriculture and farming
  • Topographic map
  • Hunting permits
  • Tourism registration. Read more in our rental guide
  • Power of attorney if someone is representing you

We do not expect you to have everything ready. Don’t worry, we will assist you in obtaining the necessary documents to ensure a smooth sales process. 

Danielle Ernstsen | 20th March 2023